Photo: Mídia Ninja
On 21 July, 2018, on the sidelines of AIDS 2018, a global partnership of safe abortion, HIV and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) organizations will host Our bodies, Our fight: Uniting the movements for HIV/AIDS and safe abortion care. This half-day event will bring together more than 200 prominent global advocates and decision-makers across the HIV and safe abortion spaces to discuss shared strategies and strengthen joint advocacy to address barriers to rights-based health care – with a focus on the champion countries of Brazil, India and South Africa. Together, participants will chart a path forward for collective advocacy to promote global policies and programs that uphold dignity and bodily integrity.
1:30 – Opening Remarks
- Barkha Dutt, Senior Journalist, India
1:40 – Special Remarks
Lambert Grijns, Netherlands’ Ambassador for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights & HIV/AIDS
Anna Devereux and Fiona Kirk, Youth Advocates, CHOICE for Youth & Sexuality, Ireland
2:05 – Panel Discussion: Building Bridges to Break Social Barriers to Care
Speakers will discuss how collective action by the HIV and safe abortion movements can strengthen efforts to combat stigma and discrimination and promote equitable access to care.
- Sally Cameron, Senior Policy Analyst, HIV Justice Network, Australia/the Netherlands (Moderator)
- Jorge Beloqui, HIV/AIDS Advocate & Professor, Institute of Mathematics and Statistics, University of São Paulo, Argentina/Brazil[
- Suchitra Dalvie, Coordinator, Asia Safe Abortion Partnership, India
- Tikhala Itaye, Chairperson, She Decides Global Movement, Malawi
- Lillian Mworeko, Executive Director, International Community of Women Living with HIV Eastern Africa (ICWEA), Uganda
3:10 – Break
3:35 – Panel Discussion: Sparking Action for Access to Medicines and Commodities
Speakers will discuss the groundbreaking tactics advocates can use to increase access to critical medicines and commodities in their countries and around the world.
Asia Russell, Executive Director, Health GAP, U.S./Uganda (Moderator)
Rebecca Gomperts, Founder and Director, Women on Waves/Women on Web, Netherlands
Santos Simione, Executive Director, Mozambican Association for Family Development (AMODEFA), Mozambique
Sibongile Tshabalala, National Chairperson, Treatment Action Campaign, South Africa
4:20 – Film Screening
4:30 – Panel Discussion: Harnessing the Power of the Media to Spur Change
Speakers will discuss how advocates can harness the power of the media to break down remaining barriers to safe abortion and HIV care.
Shenilla Mohamed, Executive Director, Amnesty International South Africa (Moderator)
Anubha Bhonsle, Knight Fellow, International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) & Former Executive Editor, CNN-News18, India
Jon Cohen, Staff Writer, Science, U.S.
Alessandra Nilo, Co-founder and General Coordinator, Gestos & Regional Director, Latin American and Caribbean Council of AIDS Organizations, Brazil
5:15 – Special Remarks
Phindile Nhleko, National Coordinator, Swaziland Network of Young Positives, Swaziland
Melodi Tamarzians, Dutch Youth Ambassador for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, Netherlands
5:25 – The Path Forward
Barkha Dutt, Senior Journalist, India
5:30-7:30 – Reception
- Alvaro Bermejo, Director General, International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF), UK
- Annah Sango, Generation Now Core Member & Women Deliver Young Leader, Zimbabwe; introduced by Katja Iversen, President/CEO, Women Deliver, U.S.
- Christine Stegling, Executive Director, International HIV/AIDS Alliance, UK