Our Bodies, Our Fight: Voices from Across the HIV/AIDS and Safe Abortion Movements
This video showcases the activism of three individuals speaking to the importance of uniting the safe abortion and HIV/AIDS movements. It was directed and edited by Lisa Russell, MPH.
- Vuyiseka Dubula-Majola, Director of the Africa Centre for HIV/AIDS Management at the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa, Former General Secretary of the Treatment Action Campaign
- Rebeca Mendes, Law and Accounting student, Think Olga's 2017, Inspiring Women Awardee, Brazil
- Dr. Jaydeep Tank, Obstetrician, Gynecologist and IVF consultant at the Ashwini Maternity and Surgical Hospital in Mumbai, India; Deputy Secretary-General of the Federation of Obstetric & Gynecological Societies of India (FOGSI) and the Chair of the FIGO Working Group for Safe Abortion
Our Bodies, Our Fight: Uniting the Movements for HIV/AIDS and Safe Abortion Care - 21 July 2018
On 21 July, 2018, on the sidelines of AIDS 2018, a global partnership of safe abortion, HIV and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) organizations hosted Our bodies, Our fight: Uniting the movements for HIV/AIDS and safe abortion care. This half-day event brought together more than 150 prominent global advocates and decision-makers across the HIV and safe abortion spaces to discuss shared strategies and strengthen joint advocacy to address barriers to rights-based health care – with a focus on the champion countries of Brazil, India and South Africa.
Barkha Dutt is a senior journalist in India and the event emcee, and Lambert Grijns is the Netherlands' Ambassador for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights and HIV/AIDs.
Lambert Grijns is the Netherlands' Ambassador for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights and HIV/AIDS, and Anna Devereux and Fiona Kirk are Youth Advocates for CHOICE for Youth & Sexuality.
Speakers discussed how collective action by the HIV and safe abortion movements can strengthen efforts to combat stigma and discrimination and promote equitable access to care.
- Sally Cameron, Senior Policy Analyst, HIV Justice Network, Australia (Moderator)
- Jorge Beloqui, HIV/AIDS Advocate & Professor, Institute of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Suchitra Dalvie, Coordinator, Asia Safe Abortion Partnership, India
- Tikhala Itaye, Chairperson, She Decides National Movement, Malawi
- Lillian Mworeko, Executive Director, International Community of Women Living with HIV Eastern Africa (ICWEA), Uganda
Speakers discussed groundbreaking tactics that advocates can use to increase access to critical medicines and commodities in their countries and around the world.
- Asia Russell, Executive Director, Health GAP, U.S (Moderator)
- Rebecca Gomperts, Founder and Director, Women on Waves/Women on Web, Netherlands
- Santos Simione, Executive Director, Mozambican Association for Family Development (AMODEFA), Mozambique
- Sibongile Tshabalala, National Chairperson, Treatment Action Campaign, South Africa
Speakers discussed how advocates can harness the power of the media to break down remaining barriers to safe abortion and HIV care.
- Shenilla Mohamed, Executive Director, Amnesty International South Africa (Moderator)
- Anubha Bhonsle, Knight Fellow, International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) & Former Executive Editor, CNN-News18, India
- Jon Cohen, Staff Writer, Science, US
- Alessandra Nilo, Co-founder and General Coordinator, Gestos & Regional Director, Latin American and Caribbean Council of AIDS Organizations, Brazil
Barkha Dutt is a senior journalist in India and the event emcee, Phindile Nhleko is the National Coordinator of Swaziland Network of Young Positives and Melodi Tamarzians is the Dutch Youth Ambassador for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights.